Friday, November 30, 2012

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep ReviewReading Level: Ages 13 and up
Paperback: 384 Pages
Release Date: December 24, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Genre: Mythology
Source: Netgalley

Mythos Academy Series
Book One: Touch of Frost
Book Two: Kiss of Frost
Book Three: Dark Frost
Book Four: Crimson Frost
Book Five: Midnight Frost (August 2013)

Order On Amazon: Paperback
                                Kindle
Order On Barnes and Noble:
Paperback and Nook

Author's
( Goodreads ! Website ! Twitter ! Facebook )

Goodreads Summary:

For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…


My Review:

This series has gradually progressed into something worth reading. When I first read Touch of Frost, I thought it would be similar to the Born At Midnight series by C.C. Hunter, because the Mythos Academy idea resembled that of Shadow Falls. However, I learned pretty quickly that that was not the case. Touch of Frost, in my opinion, was corny, boring, and slightly unrealistic. But even though I got a bad first impression, I had faith in Jennifer Estep and decided to continue reading the series. I'm so happy that I did! Throughout the last two novels, Jennifer's humor has grown, and instead of Gwen's inner dialogue being completely facepalm worthy, I found myself actually laughing at some points of the novel. I'm not saying that this novel was perfect...but really, what novel is?

Gwen has grown in character in some parts and stayed the same in others. In Crimson Frost, Gwen is braver then ever before and is willing to do anything to save the people that she loves. A quality that is very admirable in any character. And as I said in the first paragraph, her sense of humor has improved drastically compared to the first novel. There are still certain parts that I found corny, but not nearly as much. However, I still had many problems with her character. I don't want to give away too much information, but for example: When she was falsely accused of doing something she didn't do, she would yell, "I didn't do anything wrong!" over and over again. I mean I don't mind if you yell it once or twice but come on, think of a better way of explaining what happened. She sounded more like a whiny kid at that moment than Nike's Champion. There were also other things that she said that rubbed me the wrong way, but you'll have to read the book and judge it yourself. :P

Jennifer does a pretty good job at summarizing the past three books. Since I read tons of books at a time, it's super difficult to keep track of which character goes with which book, especially if those novels have similar themes. But I didn't have any trouble remembering any characters in these particular books, with the exception of Morgan. But Jennifer reminded us who she was, not long after Morgan made an appearance.

The action was super well paced! Crimson Frost was one of the few books that could fully capture my attention! Even if I didn't totally like the actions that Gwen took, I couldn't tear my eyes off of the page. There was always something interesting and intriguing taking place, so that the reader would never lose interest! I was literally reading Crimson Frost until the wee hours of the morning, which resulted in me turning into a walking zombie at school. Ask my friends, they're my witnesses! xD

Hmm.....what else to say. Ooh Ooh, I know! So in the last book, Dark Frost, we met the Fenrir Wolf that Gwen saved, Nott, I believe her name was. *Spoiler for those who haven't read the last book* For some reason, I care more about an animals' death in a book than a human one. Seriously, after Nott died protecting Gwen, I fell to the ground crying my eyes out, because Nott was by far my favorite character. I loved her so much, and my heart just broke to see her go. That's why when we discovered that Nott had her baby, Nyx, I was overjoyed! Not as happy as I would've been if Nott survived, but still happy that there was going to be another wolf puppy in the next novel. I was hoping for Nyx to have a bigger role in Crimson Frost, but she was gone for most of it. *Frowny Face* However, I understand the reasoning behind that, because she's still a teeny puppy and can't help out at all. Hopefully she'll be close to fully grown in the next installment, and we can see her alot more! :D

Overall, Crimson Frost was a huge improvement from the previous novels in this series. It was action packed, had decent humor, and had me Reading Until Dawn! xD Be sure to set aside some time for this novel, unless you want to become a walking zombie like mua. xD

Heroine- 3/5
Romance- 3/5
Action- 6/5
Comedy- 4/5
Overall- 4/5
 
*An ebook copy was provided by Netgalley
 in exchange for a honest and thoughtful review.*

1 comment:

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!