Monday, September 3, 2012

Silver by Talia Vance

Silver by Talia Vance ReviewReading Level: Ages 12 and up        
Paperback: 384 pages
Release Date: September 8 , 2012
Publisher: Flux
Genre: Celtic Mythology

Book One: Silver
Book Two: Gold (2013)

Order On Amazon: Paperback
                             Kindle
Order On Barnes and Noble.com:
Paperback and Nook


Amazon Summary:

“As I step into the room, a silver flash blurs my vision. Before I can take a breath, the world falls away.”

Brianna has always felt invisible. People stare right past her, including the one boy she can’t resist, Blake Williams. But everything changes at a house party when Brianna’s charm bracelet slips off and time stands still. In that one frozen, silver moment, Blake not only sees her, he recognizes something deep inside her that she’s been hiding even from herself.

Discovering she is descended from Danu, the legendary Bandia of Celtic myth, Brianna finds herself questioning the truth of who she is. And when she accidentally binds her soul to Blake, their mutual attraction becomes undeniable.

But Blake has his own secret, one that could prove deadly for them both.

Bound together by forbidden magic, Brianna and Blake find themselves at the heart of an ancient feud that threatens to destroy their lives and their love.

My Review:

Sixteen year old Brianna has always been invisible to boys. No matter what she did or said they would always look the other way and pretend that she didn't exist. She had a theory that she lacked the pheromone that attracted boys, but soon finds out, that it wasn't because of her at all. It was her bracelet. Her silver bracelet was passed down from her grandmother, who said that she had to keep it on at all times or she would be in grave danger. Of course, Brianna thought that her grandmother was a nut job and didn't believe her, but she still kept the bracelet on wherever she went. That is, until she broke it at a party. As soon as her bracelet broke, things started to change. Boys started to notice her, especially her crush since forever, Blake. Little did she know, that things were about to take a change for the worse...

Argggg! I was really disappointed by the outcome of this book. I've been obsessing over Silver for months, and I guess I set my expectations too high. You see, I have a habit of judging how much I'm going to enjoy a book by how pretty the cover looks. (I can't help it, don't judge me!) And did you see this cover? It's absolutely dazzling! I fell in love with it right away! The font, model, background, everything!

There were soo many things that I both loved and hated about this novel. For example, some things I liked were the Celtic Mythology theme and the writing. The mythology was unique and different from everything I've read before. I've seen books on Greek, Egyptian, and even Norse mythology, but I've never seen a single book based on Celtic mythology. Sadly, the author failed to portray and explain the mythology clearly, so I was left confused for most of the book. Other then that, I loved everything about the fast paced and thrilling style of Talia's writing.

Things I hated? I hated almost all of the characters in this novel. I found the protagonist pathetic really. She spent most of her time drooling and pining over Blake, to the point where she was literally stalking him. I mean really? Brianna also had a very poor choice in friends, because it seemed like they hated her for 95% of the novel. Haley, is the leader of the group, drop dead gorgeous, and completely bitchy (most of the time at least). The one time that a boy showed interest in Brianna, Haley thought it was because he had wanted to make her jealous. I really wanted to slap her! Christy on the other hand was a weak willed character who was turned on by how much a jerk a guy was. It seemed like the jerkier (is that even a word?) a guy was the more interested she became in him. Even if a guy cheated on her, she would still go running off with him as soon as he beckoned and called, just like a eager puppy. Blech.

My review in a nutshell: Great storyline/theme. Unrealistic and aggravating characters.

Heroine: 2.5/5
Romance: 2/5
Action: 5/5
Comedy: 3/5
Overall: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... the whole story kind of lose it, when the characters are bad...

    I have been obsessing about that book too, but I don't feel like reading it now :/

    Anyway a great review! And thanks for the follow, I'm following you back! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!